About Me

My photo
Dublin, Ireland
Hi, I'm Dermot Nolan, and I became a Master of Wine (MW) in 1997, and resigned from the Institute of Masters of Wine in 2023 after being an MW for exactly 26 years. I opened a wine shop in Dún Laoghaire, Ireland, called The Wine Library, which closed in 2018, and this is my personal wine blog. I will do my utmost to be fair and responsible in my posts – please read my Who Pays article in re the ethics of wine trips and writing. I have worked in wine education, retail, and consultancy since 1990. I was a Director of the Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW) from 2008 to 2014 and was also a member of the Events Committee, founder of the Trips Committee, and member of the Governance Committee. Having had problems with potentially libellous comments from unidentifiable posters, I now require that if you post a comment, you must identify yourself properly or it won't be published. Please note that I do not review products or services on request so kindly don't ask. I value my independence and I believe my readers (few that they may be) do so also.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Diploma in Bordeaux and SW Fance

Now, the 2nd years do a lot more tasting - and they've had some excellent wines along the way with more to come! Stockists in parentheses with details below.

Their first lecture was Bordeaux and South-west France, 6th October, with Barry Geoghegan MBA. The wines tasted from SWF were a typical “Les Sarments” Vin de Pays des Côtes de Gascogne 2008 (64) €10, a very nice Château de Jurque Jurançon 2007 (64) €14.95 - a hint of oak and much richer in style than expected, an interesting Château du Cayrou Cahors 2001 (quite firm in style but really good - WWC €18.25), the lovely Château Aydie Madiran 2006 (64) €15.80, the excellent Château du Cèdre “Le Cèdre” 2001 (64 and LC) €36.95, and the wonderfully sweet Château de Jurque “Séduction” Jurançon 2005 (64) €17.95.
For the Bordeaux tasting they got the very good Dourthe “La Grande Cuvée” Sauvignon Blanc Bordeaux 2007 (OB) €12.99 - a lovely sauvignon blanc, the always excellent Dourthe Château Pey La Tour Bordeaux Supérieur 2006 (OB) €16.99 - about the best 95% merlot wine you can buy, the lovely and fragrant Château Manoir du Gravoux Côtes de Castillon 2006 (JN) €18.75 - classic firm but fruity red Bordeaux, a very good Mondot Saint-Émilion 2005 (OB) €55 - rich, ripe and elegant, the superb (and I mean really seriously good) Château Petit-Village Pomerol 2005 (WWC) €87, a beautifully elegant Château Langoa-Barton Saint-Julien 2001 (JN) €58, and a still developing Château Gruaud-Larose Saint-Julien 1999 (CO) €75 - one of my favourite clarets, as is Langoa, followed by the (I think) out-of-stock Château Rieussec Sauternes 1998 (OB) €63 - gorgeous stuff, wonderful botrytis character and very elegant.
The stockists are 64 = 64 Wine, WWC = Wicklow Wine Company, OB = O'Brien's, JN = James Nicholson, LC = Le Caveau, CO = Coman's. The last named is a wholesaler and can only sell to retailers.

No comments: